Wednesday, February 7, 2007

Girl chokes to Death on Kuih at School

SHAH ALAM: A Standard Five girl choked to death on a buah melaka during recess at a school canteen here on Monday.

Buah melaka, also known as onde-onde, is a round-shaped kuih coated with shredded coconut, containing brown sugar filling.

The girl, Anis Shuhaida Amar, 11, from SK Taman Tun Dr Ismail Jaya in Bukit Jelutong, choked and collapsed about 10am.

She was rushed to the Selangor Medical Centre by a teacher but was pronounced dead on arrival.

Her father, Amar Sidik, 40, said he was at work when his wife, Salasiah Ismail, 31, informed him of the incident.

"I rushed to the hospital but the doctor there told me she had died.

"More attention should be given to pupils’ safety, especially in reacting quickly to emergency cases," he said at his home here yesterday.

He said Anis had been suffering from a sore throat for several days prior to the incident.

Salasiah said a teacher phoned her asking her to come to the hospital as Anis had fainted.

"I didn’t worry much then as I thought she may have fainted due to fatigue. However, I realised it was serious when I received the second call, saying her condition was critical. When I arrived at the hospital, she was dead."

Anis was buried at the Muslim cemetery in Section 20 on Monday.

The school’s senior assistant, Siti Rubiah Abdul Rahim, said this was the first time such an incident happened in the school, which has more than 1,300 pupils.

On whether the canteen operator would be barred from selling buah melaka, she said: "This is the school’s right. This is an administration matter between the school and the canteen operator. The media need not know."

The school lodged a police report but the family has not done so.

[tags : ]

No comments:

Your Ad Here